Thursday, January 3, 2008

I never by accident. I only on purpose.

The scene:

I'm sitting cross-legged next to my window on my living room floor, sipping champagne and craning my neck to hold my tiny cell phone to my ear without unplugging it from the wall charger for fear it will die in 2 seconds (which it constantly does), while a robotic woman from Time Warner Cable exclaims repeatedly (for 24 minutes, to be exact),
"Turbo charge your Road Runner!!"
"Who's everyone's favorite Ogre?!?!?!!!!!!"
"Another great idea from Time Warner Cable!!! Caller ID on your TV!! Now you can see who's calling without getting up from your couch!!!!!!!!" (Seriously. That's their great idea.)

The exclamation marks are audible. It's a bit disgusting. And I endure 4 transfers to different departments before I am connected to the right person for the big, complicated job of securing my wireless network, which takes approximately 2 minutes with a nice boy who speaks with the normal, human amount of exclamation marks. All the people in my building will probably hate me now for taking away the gift of free internet. But at least now I'm not constantly worried someone is stealing my music, pictures, personal information, and soul.

My New Year is off to a....well, a start. Despite my persistent cough and the recent spider issue in my apartment, I feel just grand. I'm finally content here, or at least I'm getting there. I think this has a lot to do with having goals and challenging myself to more than the routine in which I had easily fallen. I'm reading 6 books, all different and lovely and I switch them out as often as one might switch the channels on a television. I'm contemplating grad school in a more serious way, and beginning to prepare for the GRE. I'm also pursuing a new volunteer opportunity, disciplining myself to write daily, drinking water more, eating out less, and taking care of all the little things I've put off for the past months, like calling Time Warner Cable....Check.

...some invisible star had risen to eclipse the sun and release the coldness of space.
M. Fusco


Stay warm out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love both of these pictures: one reminds me of a cute boy I once met on a train who turned out to be totally awesome and also in love with a sweet, polished swiss dame
and the other, well, the other reminds me of a woman of who I am both a piece of and is a piece of me,
prayers for the road love.

Anonymous said...

does Bird by Bird in your library mean that it arrived?
*crosses fingers*

charlestonphilosopher said...

we need more posts.
you're awesome.