Monday, December 17, 2007

A Good Night.

I found a mountain coffee shop in the middle of the city.

Following crafty signs up creaky wooden steps, the smell of coffee and sound of guitars floats down from the warm shop. I am given a chipped mug and told the internet password is Revolution. I can tell the workers love telling people that. I find my way next to a cold window and set up my area across from a hippie family of four. The mother spends her time gazing at her beautiful girls and knitting...a scarf? a sweater? The father tirelessly draws with the girls, himself as genuinely amused as they are. He laughs loudly and often. I haven't seen a family this happy since the Italian mothers doted on their bambinos near the gray water.

As they get up to leave, the father begins to show fatigue. Yawning through his smile. What a blessing to see God's idea of family in such a real way.

It's a good night to be alone. It's a good night to not make conversation, with close friends or strangers. It's a good night to absorb and make myself another cup of coffee.

No comments: